The following books and resources are held by Rutland Reminders and can be borrowed by guests or carers, please contact us for further information.
- Living well with dementia: a National Dementia Strategy. Department of Health February 2009.
- Contented Dementia, Oliver James
- Music Therapy in Dementia Care, Ed. David Aldridge
- Connecting through Music, Robin Rio
- And still the Music Plays, Graham Stokes
- Musicophilia, Oliver Sacks, Picador 2007
- Carers and their Rights: the Law Relating to Carers. 4th Edition 2011. Luke Clements
- Iris, John Bayley
- The Nation’s Favourite Comic Poems, Griff Rhys Jones
- Keeper, Andrea Gillis
- Being: an approach to life and dementia, David M. Sheard
- Alzheimer’s and Other Dementias, H. Cayton, N. Graham, and J. Warner
- The 36-hour day – a family guide to caring at home for people with dementia
- My Bonnie, How dementia stole the love of my life, John Suchet
- Aging with Grace, David Snowdon
- Childhood Memories – Growing up with Good Housekeeping 1922-1942
- Remember When – A Nostalgic Trip through the Consumer Era. Robert Opie.
- This England’s Book of British Dance Bands from the 20’s to the 50’s.
- Fly a Round the World
- How Many Camels are there in Holland? Dementia, ma and me. Phyllida Law.
- First Steps to Living with Dementia. Dr Simon Atkins
- The dementia guide. Living well after diagnosis. NHS.
- Caring for someone with dementia. BUPA.
- Learning to Speak Alzheimer’s, Joanne Koenig Coste
Booklets and Magazines
- Living well with dementia: a National Dementia Strategy: Accessible Summary. Dept. of Health. 2009.
- An Introduction to Alzheimer’s Disease
- An Introduction to Vascular Dementia
- An Introduction to Dementia with Lewy Bodies
- Worried someone close to you is losing their memory? Dept of Health 2011
- 2 No. Specal brochures
- Living with Dementia (Alzheimer’s Society Magazine) Back copies from April 2010 –
- Caring: Carers UK June 2010
- A Person-Centred Approach to Dementia: Training Day Papers
- SPECAL: Making a Present of the Past
- SPECAL: The Photo Album
- Singing for the Brain Lyric Book
- ditto: Kettering branch
- Prime Life: Risk Assessment for Rutland Care Village
- Best of British Past and Present: May-Sept 2013
Articles and Papers
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Singing has Transformed Mum’s Life
- Understanding Memory
- Book Reviews: Contented Dementia
- SPECAL: Alzheimer’s Society View
- The Art of Healing – Ruth Wishart. ‘Music and Painting as Respite for sick and troubled souls’. The Guardian 12 April, 2014.
- 50 No. new Songbooks with 100 Therapeutic songs. January 2012.
- 40 No. Christmas Carol Song Books. December 2010
- 40 No. Song Books: Lyrics for 40+ Therapeutic Songs. August 2010.
- The Very Best of Vera Lynn, 3.xi.2010
- Rutland Reminders Christmas Carols, 7.xii.2010
- BBC Radio 4 Play: ‘Notes to Self’
- BBC Radio 4: ‘Ancient Mysteries’. Five soliloquies by people with dementia.
Our ‘Memory Box’ for Guests with dementia is working well at sessions. The first donated item was a collection of pre-decimal coinage and other items include two old Driving Licences, one from 1939-1969, a Ration Book, and a collection of cigarette cards. If anyone has any useful mementoes – childhood books or household items from the 1950s-1970s; sweets, wrappers, or containers; Festival of Britain or Coronation mementoes, etc. – we would be very grateful, please contact us if you can contribute.